Sunday, September 14, 2014

TOW #2 IRB Introduction

                For my first Independent Reading Book this school year, I chose to read Love is a Mix Tape written by Rolling Stone editor Rob Sheffield. He reflects on his time with a woman named Renée, and how music brought together their two, very different, personas. From the point I am at in the novel, I cannot be certain if Renée left Sheffield, or left the world. What I do know is that either way, she left their mix tapes with him. This is the real reason I was drawn to this book. The music. I am not someone who is interested in reading stories about love and happy memories like that. However, I can get interested it if it comes with a great soundtrack. I had noticed when skimming along the pages that I not only recognized quite a few of the songs and artists Sheffield mentions, but I actually enjoy listening most of them myself. Songs by David Bowie, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana come up often. I always can appreciate a music taste so near my own, along with the new songs that are just now gracing my ears even though some have been around longer than I have. So when I say new, I mean new to me. I think the use of the songs brings more feeling to the memoir as well as connecting with the readers on a musical—and emotional level. Any 90s alternative music fan would understand.



No comments:

Post a Comment